Wednesday 20 March 2013

MEET ÅSA AMANDA ARBJÖRK, ASPIRING BLOGGER


At Phoenix this morning, for a bit of one-to-one social media coaching with Åsa Amanda Arbjörk. She and I have known each other for ages, since I was teaching Creative Writing at The Rutland College in Oakham.

She was one of the star students on those courses. I was always enthusiastic about her writing and I'm glad to see that she is still. Back in the day, there was no such thing as blogging or tweeting or Facebooking (if there is such a verb) but now I'm a big enthusiast of all three. If someone wants to write, in almost any capacity and for almost any reason, then they have to throw themselves into the social media mix. That's what we're talking about today - and I'm hoping to give her the "benefit" of my "wisdom".

Åsa has many facets that set her apart from most of the other students to whom I've taught Creative Writing over the years (quite a few hundred of them). She's bilingual in English and Swedish (which has led to all sorts of unusual opportunities, such as sub-titling movies and TV shows for the Swedish market), benefits from an observant and reflective outsider's view of our society - and she lives in Stamford, which was recently selected by the Sunday Times as the best place to live in the UK. A piece like that just published about the place where you live is manna from heaven for someone who's looking for an excuse to start blogging - in my humble opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment