Monday 6 August 2012

QUEEN CHARIS WOWS THE WATCHING CROWDS

This article appears in today's Leicester Mercury:

Queen Charis wows the watching crowds
Charis Betts strutted her stuff after being crowned queen for the day.
The 21-year-old was the focus of attention as the Leicester Caribbean Carnival Queen.
Charis led the parade through the city as thousands of onlookers marvelled at her spectacular Mask in D Lilies costume.
She danced and jigged at the front of the procession, which added a giant splash of Caribbean colour to the city.
Charis said: "This is my first time as carnival queen and I loved it. I helped design and make my costume as outrageous as it is.
"The costume is incredibly heavy and it was hard work at times. It rained on us and I have to say that it was nice as it helped cool me down."
Elizabeth Jennings was runner-up in the carnival queen competition and she wowed the crowds with her flamboyant Angel of the North costume.
The 23-year-old said: "This is the fourth time I have been in the parade and it was as brilliant as ever. It felt like there were more crowds out to watch us as we went through the city. The response was brilliant."
Ashley Richards donned a silver costume and entertained the onlookers with his moves.
The 25-year-old said: "It is an honour to be involved. My family came over from St Kitts and Nevis 60 or 70 years ago and it is great to be able to bring a bit of that culture to the streets of Leicester.
"I have been lucky enough to be involved in many carnivals but I have to say Leicester is the best. The rain came but it cannot dampen our spirit. We dance on."

No comments:

Post a Comment