Thursday 9 August 2012

CITY'S DIVERSE COMMUNITIES ARE CELEBRATED IN VERSE

This letter appears in today's Leicester Mercury:
City's diverse communities are celebrated in verse
Ay up me duck you look so cold standing there so still.
Here's me in hat and scarf and gloves and yet I still feel chilled.
Mais oui, ma chère, though winter's here it's warmth that I perceive
For Leicester's been so welcoming to strangers such as me. 
From West Indian sunny isles to Africa's barren sands,
Across to where the Mughals ruled and the dragon's Eastern land,
We came with dreams, beliefs and faith and gratitude to you
For giving us a home, and hope for strength to start anew.
But mister, save your fancy words, there's two sides to this tale
For we have gained as much as you from this mega deal.
Caribbean Carnivals, the Golden Miles' Diwali Day,
Exotic fruit and veg to buy and the weekend's takeaway. 
Mon amie, it's more than that for Leicester above all others
Has formed a very special bond with its new-found brothers.
It's ethnic diversity brings a richness to the nation,
And it's multi-cultural harmony deserves a commendation.
Hey mate, you seem to know so much, are you a politician?
Your face is quite familiar – have you been on television?
Non, but as a founding father I've watched my 'child' with prideFrom my lofty stony tower with my three friends at my side.
Tom and Will and Gabriel, such superior City gents
And me – Simon de Montfort – call me Mr Parliament.

Dorothy Tomlinson, Leicester

No comments:

Post a Comment