Thursday 24 June 2010

SACRE AGM

At Holy Trinity Church, Regent Road this afternoon, for the Annual General Meeting of Leicester SACRE (Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education). The meeting is being held upstairs, in what appears to be the church's Sunday School.

Linda Bradshaw, Advanced Skills Teacher at Rushey Mead School, gives a presentation on "Training: What is a Secondary AST?" There are quite a lot of people in a very small room on a very warm day. I'm beginning to feel the effects of the heat at this point, and start gonking in the front row. Very disrespectful, of course, so I nip out for a few minutes to try and wake up a little, with some coffee in the room where refreshments were being served before the meeting started. I can follow Linda's presentation, which so am trying not to miss anything. As I pace the room slowly, listening to Linda's talk which comes through from the next room loud and clear, my eye is caught by some of the prayers by children from the Sunday School, which have been put up on the wall. Some are in the child's own hand, some written down by adults. Many of them are asking for health and healing for family members or friends. Some ask help directly: "Dear God, Please heal my baby tooth"; "Dear God, Please make my snot stop"; "Dear God, Please help me to find a friend at playtime". Some of the prayers are quite touching.

I get to make a small contribution when we discuss developments on our booklet project, "Engaging with Leicester's Faith Communities", especially in relation to our meeting at Leicester Tigers with representatives of the city's gurdwaras.

Stephanie Maud (who teaches at Leicester College) is elected Chair. I've known Stephanie for over 20 years and I'm sure she'll do a fine job in this position. A vote of thanks is proposed for Rosemary Stokes, who stands down as Chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment