Sunday 19 June 2011

Avenue Community Church at Clarendon Park Summer Fair


I spend a pleasant hour or so this afternoon at the Clarendon Park Summer Fair. The photo above is of one of a number and variety of displays that lined both sides of Queens Road. This one is the Avenue Community Church stall, where I stopped for a few minutes and spoke to a very nice young woman called Gillian, who is from Kansas (and, yes, I made the obvious joke - and Gillian had the good grace to smile at it). I gave her my card and she gave me some information about the church's activities: most notably "Sunday in the Park", a week today (26 June, 1400-1700). Bearing in mind the title of that Stephen Sondheim musical, how can I refuse such an invitation?

Avenue Community Church was "planted" from Knighton Evangelical Free Church in 2005. They describe themselves as being made up of a variety of people, from toddlers to students to grandparents. They meet together on Sunday mornings (1030-1200) at Avenue Primary School for an informal time including singing, prayer, a talk based on a passage from the Bible, children's activities, creche, refreshments and chat. They aim to be family-friendly and accessible to visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment