Monday 20 June 2011

CHARTING THE DECLINE OF CHRISTIANITY

This letter appears in today's Leicester Mercury:
Charting the decline of Christianity
While on the one hand I applaud the magnificent and biggest Hindu Temple in the Midlands, on the other, I wonder if the people of Leicester notice the demise of Christianity in our city.
This is not, repeat not, a racist view as many of my friends are Leicester Asians, but a statement of fact.
I was born and bred in Leicester and brought up in a Church of England School, Saint Barnabas, whose church is soon to be sold. I was married at St Alban's Church, in Weymouth Street, thankfully saved at the moment, but whose sister churches, St Gabriel's and St Peter's, Belgrave, full of history, are up for sale.
Add St Saviour's Church and that makes four churches up for sale, which I feel is only the thin end of the wedge.
The writing is on the wall for Leicester obviously sooner than later. Maybe even now we have more temples and mosques than churches and we Christians will be the minority.
After living here all my life, I now feel a total foreigner in my own city and am considering moving out!
G L Astill, Leicester

No comments:

Post a Comment