Thursday 23 June 2011

"FAITHS IN NOTTINGHAM" EXHIBITION LAUNCH


At the launch of a new exhibition and website for Nottingham Inter Faith Council. This is taking place at The Space, in Nottingham Contemporary: a striking venue for the event. I'm particularly impressed by the big screen, lowered from the high ceiling, on which screenshots from the website are projected.

In the photo above, my Nottingham counterpart (and fellow Glaswegian to boot), John Murray, who invited me this evening. John and I had spoken at length about this new exhibition, as Nottingham gained some advantage from our use of these pop-up banners for the last couple of years.


There's more content in this new exhibition than there is in ours. This one's more like a set of leaflets on legs. "Faiths in Nottingham" showcases the nine communities on the city's Inter-Faith Council (Bahá'í, Brahma Kumaris, Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, Quaker, Sikh). Each of the banners contains sections on what members of each faith believe and what they do as well as a variety of illustrations.


There's a nice complementary set of leaflets, which have the same text as is on each of the banners, plus information about local contacts for follow up enquiries.

There's a strong turnout: about 75-80 people by my reckoning. I meet a few old Bahá'í friends whom I haven't seen for several years. Some of them take a moment to recognise me until I start to speak; have I changed that much in recent times? I should just be thankful for having a distinctive voice!

No comments:

Post a Comment