Wednesday 23 November 2011

INTER FAITH WEEK 2011, DAY 4: HIGHCROSS EXHIBITION


Fourth day of our week-long exhibition in Highcross to celebrate Inter Faith Week, showcasing the eight communities represented on Leicester Council of Faiths.

Halfway through the day, I refresh the layout of the pop-up banners (for "refresh", read "fiddle about with"). For the first half of the week, I've laid them out in alphabetical order: Bahá'ís backing on to Buddhists; Christians backing on to Hindus; Jains backing on to Jews; Muslims backing on to Sikhs. I'm always saying that the alphabet is God's gift to even-handedness and that's what we usually follow, to avoid any disputes about who goes first or last and why this one goes next to that one. But it strikes me today that we could lay out the banners so that, when approaching them from one direction, one would see the Abrahamic faiths lined up in historical sequence (Jews, Christians, Muslims, Bahá'ís) and if approaching from the other direction see the Dharmic faiths lined up in historical sequence (Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, Sikh). Not that I believe anyone will notice particularly (although I do make it my business to tell those whom I think will be interested). I guess I'm just one of life's inveterate fiddlers!

Here are some comments entered in the reflective log by volunteers on the exhibition today (none of which mention the order of the pop-up banners):
“Good number of individuals passing by to read the banners and some taking literature from faith communities. One young man left his card to be invited to panel discussions on faiths in future. The same person engaged in a useful conversation with us.”
“It’s so wonderful to be in the presence of individuals who are so committed in bringing goodness to others. I feel humbled in taking part.”
“Few people approached us. The one who did knew already something about the activities of the Council of Faiths and collected leaflets to distribute around. All in all it has been a positive experience for me. I have met interesting people. I wish the wonderful job that the Council of Faiths does could be more appreciated.”
“So glad to be part of this – to be able to talk to a few people about the importance of faith and how different faiths can and do work together. Wonderful for me to reflect more on the beliefs of others, my interactions with those of other faiths and how actually our care values are shared – the difference between ‘faith’ and ‘religion’!”
“It was good to be the small space of relaxation and interest within the bustle surrounding the exhibition. So many glances, a few good conversations and questions. The whole exhibition speaks to those who pass by. Very worthwhile.”
“I’ve met some very friendly and interesting people. I’ve also learned things about other faiths and cultures that I didn't know before. To be part of something that encourages people to live side-by-side in harmony regardless of their beliefs makes me feel proud to live in Leicester.” 
“Many people simply looking – but the sheer presence of a Christian and a Sikh standing together in unity was an incarnated message in itself. Wonderful.”
“Most of the people just look around, pick up the leaflets on different faiths and go. But some like to talk. One young man called Ross asked about euthanasia and Sikh belief. I had to take his details to let him know because I have no idea. Another lady wanted to know about Sikh faith and she was from Buddhist faith.”

No comments:

Post a Comment