Wednesday 5 May 2010

AMPLIFIED LEICESTER: TECH SURGERY


Amplified individuals use social media and the web to enhance their abilities to sense their world, create shared resources and act collaboratively. We meet fortnightly at Phoenix Square Digital Film and Media Centre. This morning, Ash Brown hosts an informal "Tech Surgery" bringing together those who need help with social media and those who can advise them. Folk bring along their laptops, iPhones, Blackberries etc. Tables are devoted to twitter, Facebook, MySpace, You Tube and my favourite (of course) blogging. I get the chance to talk with Ash for a good bit late in the session, when we discuss the affordances, constraints and effectivities (they're E301 words - look 'em up if you're that bothered, faithful reader) associated with different forms of blogging available (principally Wordpress v Blogger).


Content is the most important thing for me. I'm not all that competent with design elements (in fact, I feel pretty backward at all that). I like Blogger and use this format because it allows me to forget about design and just get on with the writing.


Today I've persuaded Alastair (my firstborn) to attend. I've been encouraging him to come to events like this for a while, so he can make some good contacts for more effective deployment of his artistic skills. He's an excellent musician (with a degree in guitarcraft from the Academy of Contemporary Music), a witty writer and MC. I know all parents think their children are the bee's knees, but I'm happy to say that I'm right on the money about him.


I have a chat with Dipika Hindocha, who is volunteering with the Get Inspired 2010 project. She's looking at ways of using the Amplified network to publicise the forthcoming event. Sounds to me like she's got plenty to give back here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment