Wednesday 19 May 2010

CATHEDRAL A.M.


An early start at Leicester Cathedral Visitor Centre for Cathedral AM, starting 0730. This bi-monthly networking event brings together people with a special interest in the city centre - living there, working there or otherwise concerned with it. Following a light breakfast, we listen to this morning's guest speaker: Anna Ellis, Manager of the Dawn Centre.

The Dawn Centre is a project for homeless people providing temporary accommodation, support, advice and assistance on health, housing, life skills and education all in one place.

I'm pleased to hear Anna's talk, for two reasons in particular. Firstly, the topic of homeless people has come up at just about each and every one of these meetings I've been to. Because of that, I've prompted Julie-Ann Heath and Barry Naylor (who run Cathedral AM) to get someone from the Dawn Centre to come along and speak. Secondly, I used to spend part of my working week there, teaching adult literacy skills, when I was employed by the City Council on its ReMit and Reach adult education programmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment