Monday 25 July 2011

Gentlemen: start your engines!


I'm going around town this afternoon, photographing the Adshells where the City Council has put posters about local activities (as I hope we can persuade them to make some use of these for the Council of Faiths' 25th anniversary - or for National Inter Faith Week at least). Every one of the posters put up by City Council is advertising an upcoming Speedway meet.

While I'm taking this one (at the corner of Humberstone Gate and Charles Street, just under the giant television screen) I hear someone behind me ask, "I wonder what competition you're going in for?" I turn around to see a tall young fellow in a Man United change top, with his camera phone out. I ask him what competition he's going in for. Turns out that if you can find and photograph 17 of these Speedway posters around the city centre today, you can enter a draw to get two free tickets to the next event. I tell him what I'm doing - and it sounds dull in comparison.

Seventeen though: that's an odd number (quite literally). Is that every single one of them?

I loved Speedway when I was a kid. My dad used to take me to White City, on Paisley Road West, Ibrox, to watch the Glasgow Tigers. I wonder if it's the kind of thing my kids would go for now?

No comments:

Post a Comment