Thursday 12 May 2011

KELVINGROVE ART GALLERY & MUSEUM



In my hometown of Glasgow for a few days, I have the pleasure of visiting Kelvingrove Art Gallery andMuseum, just a short step from the hotel in which I’m staying. There’s plenty in Kelvingrove that would merit inclusion in this blog, for all kinds of reasons. I’ve written about Kelvingrove before, especially in connection with the Salvador Dali painting, Christ of St John of the Cross, that is arguably its most famous exhibit.

Like many an art gallery or museum, of course, there’s a lot of stuff that takes religion or spirituality as its topic or in which religion can be identified as an underlying theme. It would be a difficult task to present any kind of historical or thematic survey of art (western or eastern) that didn’t engage with religion. 

I’m being rather unsubtle here in only highlighting those exhibits or displays that could be said explicitly to foreground the kind of themes and topics that often feature here. If I were not so choosy, I’d have to reproduce, describe and discuss just about everything there is to be seen there!

Text indented and in italic comes direct from the display cards that accompany these exhibits. There’s a lot more of that than there is of my own writing here. When it comes to describing a visit to Kelvingrove, that’s the way it should be, faithful reader.

The entries are in no particular order. I’ve tried to gather together different entries that relate to one religion or faith community, although that’s not always been possible. And there are going to be more pictures than usual.

Watch this space over the next few days for what I hope you'll consider some lovely stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment