Thursday 10 March 2011

Christianity is here to stay

Reproduced below is one of two letters from today's Leicester Mercury, responding to Leicester Secular Society's Census campaign. I've posted each of the letters separately on the blog because I'd like people to read and respond to them distinctly, rather than just lump both together - even if your response, faithful reader, involves no more than thinking about them. The letters as published in the paper are accompanied by that photo the Mercury has used several times now, of Secular Society President Emma Chung holding up the banner in question outside Secular Hall. It's a nice enough picture, but I'm not posting it here again. That would be just too, too lazy - even for me (says the man who has just posted this same paragraph at the start of two different blog entries!) If anyone should question my motives for posting material like this, I'm doing so to give as rounded a view as I can of how such topics are treated in our city. The coming Census has foregrounded issues of religious identity, diversity, conformity and privilege to an uncommon degree. Stuff like this is meat and drink to those interested in what makes Leicester tick.

Christianity is here to stay

I don't know whether to laugh or cry about the absurd behaviour of the Leicester Secular Society to do with the forthcoming census (Mercury, March 5).

Where on earth do they get the idea from that people in modern Britain don't feel that they are free to tick whichever boxes describe them accurately?

I can only think that the society is on some sort of campaign to try to push Christianity out of the picture. Well, Christianity is here to stay!

I thought their members were supposed to be rational people.

David Evans,
Leicester

Read the letter on the Mercury's website, along with reader comments:
http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/news/Christianity-stay/article-3313374-detail/article.html

No comments:

Post a Comment