Monday 28 March 2011

BEREAVEMENT SERVICES SUB GROUP MEETS



A nice walk in the spring sunshine this morning to Shree Sanatan Mandir, Weymouth Street (photo above). There's an unusual but pleasing feel to the air today: warmed by sunshine behind, striding into cold air ahead. Maybe I enjoy the stroll a little too much; it should take just under an hour to walk to the temple, but I've only made it halfway down Melbourne Road by the time I realise I'd better get a cab if I'm going to arrive at a decent time! Once I state my destination, the driver (an Indian chap) asks if I'm "Hare Krishna, Hare Rama"; he's probably wondering what business someone like me has at the largest Hindu temple in Leicester.


I'm on my way to a meeting of the sub group appointed by the Council of Faiths to tackle issues related to the City Council's bereavement services. I join Minou Cortazzi, Suleman Nagdi and Smita Shah here today for the discussion. There are some sensitive issues around this (as you can imagine faithful reader) and some aggrieved voices have been raised among the faith communities in recent months over changes in the service - for both burial and cremation. We agree on what we hope will be a way forward on a number of these issues - leading into a wider ranging exchange of ideas regarding the present status and future role of Leicester Council of Faiths. Some good, strong and positive ideas, which I hope find meaningful expression in this, our silver jubilee year.

No comments:

Post a Comment