Tuesday 23 April 2013

WHY WE ALL TAKE PRIDE IN THIS NATION

This article appears in today's Leicester Mercury:
Why we all take pride in this nation
Today, We celebrate national patron, George, and all things English. to mark the occasion, some well-known citizens tell Natalie Derham and Tom Mack why they are proud to be English.
Sir Peter Soulsby, Mayor of Leicester
"I'm very proud of England's wonderful history and particularly its democracy."
Suleman Nagdi, spokesman for the Federation of Muslim Organisations
"We have a great history of acceptance and tolerance and I'm proud of our liberal society and its multiculturalism."
Carl Gunns, owner of boxing club in Birstall
"I love the history of England and the great kings and queens we've had, such as Charles I and Henry VIII. I'm also proud of the film industry, particularly in the 50s."
Tom Joule owner of Joules Ltd Market Harborough
"What makes me proud to be English is the Grand National, the sound of an ice cream van in the summer and the beer garden at the pub."
Rosemary Conley, fitness guru
"I'm proud of England for its heritage, its people, its beauty as a country and for its diversity. I would never want to live anywhere else."
Canon Barry Naylor, urban dean
"The Church of England reflects some of the very best of what it means to be English.
"It values diversity yet acknowledges the essential realities that bind us all together."

No comments:

Post a Comment