Thursday 23 September 2010

Converse reverse: Axis axed!

Well, I hold my hands up ...

I really didn't think this would happen, but Converse have bowed to Hindu complaints and withdrawn their Jimi Hendrix commemorative All-Star shoe based on cover artwork from the album, "Axis Bold as Love". This had caused much unhappiness because the artwork used images from a popular Hindu devotional poster on which a number of deities and sacred figures are represented.

When I saw that local Hindus had got the show removed from sale at one shop here in Leicester, I was surprised at that! So this development has really bowled me over.

It's not entirely clear whether the recall only applies in the USA, but I can't imagine that the company would do this in their biggest market, then leave themselves open to further attack in other parts of the world.

Read the story on "Hindu Blog":
http://www.hindu-blog.com/2010/09/converse-withdraws-shoes-carrying.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+hindublog+%28Hindu+blog%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail

No comments:

Post a Comment