Thursday 5 August 2010

First Step


I was glad to attend this event this evening. I've replaced my own description of it with the article published in the Leicester Mercury, Saturday 7 August, which is reproduced in full below.
Thanks for your work, Tony

A counsellor who has helped thousands of men come to terms with sexual abuse has stepped down from the charity he founded 13 years ago.
A ceremony to acknowledge the work of Tony Magee, who set up the First Step charity, was held at Laat Saab, Narborough Road, Leicester.

More than 100 friends and co-workers celebrated over a decade of his work.

He was also joined by Lord Mayor Councillor Colin Hall, who described his years of charity work in the city as "invaluable".

Mr Magee resigned as chairman of First Step – a Leicestershire organisation which deals with male sexual abuse and rape – in July, after falling ill.

However, despite battling a lung condition, he still plans to continue promoting the charity.

He said: "I love this organisation and it's something that has been a part of my life for so long.

"I feel upset but I know it's the right thing to do because of my health. I've got a fantastic team and I've got every faith that they'll be able to take this charity to the next level.

"I'm a survivor of male sexual abuse myself, so I know how the guys who contact us feel.

"If I talk to someone who calls in, I can tell them straight away that I'm a survivor too, and most of the time it helps them open up. I remember how difficult it was, and how terrified I was, when I first told someone about it, so I try to remember that whenever I speak to someone new."

First Step was founded in 1997 and has helped 6,000 people in that time.

Linda Slawson joined the self-funded charity, which has annual running costs of £40,000, four years ago and has taken over the role as chairman.

She said: "We have to work very hard to raise the money to keep going, it's only because of people like Tony, who are so passionate about the work we do, that we've managed to keep going for so long."

The police, prisons and the probation service regularly refer cases of male sexual abuse when they arise to First Step.

Vice-chairman Julie Hewitt has spent eight years with the organisation. She said: "First Step plays a vital role in helping thousands of men open up and come to terms with some very difficult situations."

Coun Hall said: "It's tribute to Tony that so many people have come along to wish him well. The world would be a much better place with more people like Tony around."

If you would like to contact First Step, call 0116 254 8535
In the photo: Tony Magee (in the pink shirt) with colleagues, friends and supporters of First Step at the dinner in Laat Saab. Guest of Honour, the Lord Mayor of Leicester, Cllr Colin Hall, far left. Photo courtesy of Ian Davies.

1 comment:

  1. Many Thanks forr this George it helps (I hope) raise awarness. I really enjoyed myself on Thursday as emotional as it was for me. The food was great people there were lovely as they can be. Many thanks for sharing the evening with me.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete