Friday 29 January 2010

AFRICAN HERITAGE CHURCHES NETWORK IN LEICESTER

This afternoon, meeting with Taiwo (Tony) Rotimi at Leicester African Caribbean Business Association (LACBA) in the Melbourne Centre, Melbourne Road, Highfields. I'm returning two manuscripts I've been copy-editing and proofreading for him over the past few months (in what I laughingly call my "spare time"). Working titles for the two scripts are "365 Tools for a Fulfilled Life" and "The Quotable Bible".

Tony (under his business identity as "Platinum Consolidated") has been commissioned by the African Caribbean Citizens Forum (ACCF) to help create a network of African heritage churches in Leicester. This is an area that the Council of Faiths has long had difficulty tapping into; hopefully, such a network would help us work alongside this important strand in the religious life of our city.

Tony introduces me to Wolde Selassie, Chair of Leicester African Caribbean Arts Forum (LACAF), who is also helping create this new network. I explain to both of them our duties as one of Leicester Partnership's Host Organisation, that we're obliged to work with faith groups that are not actual members of the Council of Faiths. I also explain to them how such a network might find representation on SACRE. I also invite them to attend the open-air prayer meeting for Haiti that the Council of Faiths is organising in Town Hall Square this Wednesday (3 February) at 1230.

No comments:

Post a Comment