Wednesday 24 November 2010

INTER FAITH WEEK 2010: DAY 4


Priority this morning is to get my hands on a copy of the Leicester Mercury, to get a look at The Wave - the paper's young people's supplement, in which we've been promised front page coverage. There's a good big photo, showing Smita Shah (President of Jain Samaj Europe and Treasurer of Leicester Council of Faiths) and me, speaking with Katie (editor of The Wave) and Will (who wrote the story). The coverage is really good; I buy a dozen copies so we can show it off on the stall today.

Marion Kennedy is already at the display when I arrive around 0915. She's very apologetic about having missed her turn earlier this week (on Monday morning) when she was poorly and had to go home. She's determined to make the most of her time here this morning. I'm obliged to go off to CreativeCoffee Club just before 1000 and although I am loathe to leave her there on her own, she's quite content for that to be so.

Scott MacDonald and Aramesh Mahboubi (from Leicester Bahá'ís), Chogma (Education Outreach Officer from the Nagarjuna Kadampa Buddhist Centre), Suzanne Kelly (of Christians Aware) cover the 1400-1600 slot. Those four are in the photo below.


Speaking with one of the staff on the body care products concession that's selling products based on minerals from the Dead Sea, I ask what's happened to her colleagues from Israel, who had been speaking with us just a few days before, on Sunday. She tells me that their visas were found not to be in order, so the government has sent them home. Oh ...

In the late afternoon, a diminutive Sikh man and a big burly Christian fellow have a lively and friendly discussion about whether one has free will in matters of faith and belief or if it's no more than an accident of geography and history, determined by where and when one is born.

One woman, who introduced herself as a social worker, plucked half a dozen copies of each leaflet from our display.

Two young fellows, who later describe themselves as engineering students attending one of the city's universities, spend some time eyeing up the display on one side (the one with the later letters of the alphabet on it). After they've caught my attention, I go over and introduce myself and ask them what they think of it. They tell me that they'd like me to remove one of the banners from the display. I ask them which one, and they motion toward the Jewish one. They don't seem able to bring themselves to say the name. When I tell them that's not going to happen, they ask if I can at least move it so it's not adjacent to the Muslim banner. I tell them that's not going to happen either; we follow alphabetical order to avoid any protests at any faith community being unduly favoured over any other. After we've talked for a moment, I recognise these two chaps from a larger group who visited the exhibition earlier in the week, looked at it, appeared to speak about it among themselves, but wouldn't take any literature when offered it, or engage with anyone on the stall. (I note, later, that they've also been here earlier in the day - to judge from comments that one of the volunteers on duty earlier in the day had left in the reflective log.) This evening, the three of us spoke together for what must have been more than a quarter of an hour - and I found it all very interesting. They say that they were from Saudi Arabia and had never been outside their home country till coming here to study. They've only been in Leicester for a couple of months. Their issues with the Jewish presence in this exhibition arises from their awareness of the political and economic situation of the Palestinian people. I explain to them that the mission of Leicester Council of Faiths is to attend to relations between the faith communities in the city, and between the faith communities as a whole and the wider citizenry of Leicester. We know about the conflict between and among religions around the world - we don't hide our heads in the sand, but we also know can't resolve these conflicts. What matters to us is how we live here. To illustrate this, I describe to them what happened at Holocaust Memorial Day in Leicester, January 2009 (see blog post dated 31 Dec 2009, where I highlighted that event as my number one occasion of the year). They're still not convinced and tell me that, while their Palestinian Muslim brothers and sisters are being persecuted, there are no instances of Muslims persecuting members of other religions. I ask them to walk with me to the other side of the display and show them the Bahá'í banner. I ask them if they've heard of the Bahá'ís. They tell me that they never have. When I describe how they are being treated (how they have always been treated) in Iran, they fall silent. I put to them the question, because this is being done by Muslims to members of the religion I follow, should I take that out on Muslims in Leicester? To put it more bluntly, would it be good reason for me to punch the two of them in the face? Is it their fault this is happening? Of course it isn't - and of course I don't feel like that. but the rhetoric seems to work. At this point, they both tell me their names (they'd said earlier that they wouldn't do so) and we part on friendly terms, with firm handshakes all round. They tell me that they'll come back before the end of the week and try to talk with other people on the stall.

A young and dynamic Muslim businesswoman came to the exhibition late in the day and spent several minutes scrutinising it told me that she's opening a care home facility in Thurmaston and would be interested in obtaining training from the Council of Faiths in faith and cultural awareness for the staff she's taking on there.
"An uplifting experience. Thank you for the brilliant organisation. I've enjoyed all the conversations with 'staff' and visitors alike."
"Two Saudi Arabian students studying at DMU (engineering) were interested in the exhibition. when told about the leaflets one of the picked out Muslim, Christian, Jewish, His friend asked him why he wasn't taking one of each (I didn't hear the response). His friend took the others. We had a long chat."
"Was on exhibition from 4-8, met some interesting people and someone bought me a book to help me understand some alien concepts and approaches to spirituality."

No comments:

Post a Comment