Three congregations worshipped at Glasgow Cathedral after the Reformation. The crypt became the place of worship for the new Barony Parish in 1595 and in 1648 the nave was partitioned off from the choir to serve the East Parish. In 1798, however, the Barony congregation moved from the Cathedral's dark and gloomy crypt to a new church in Cathedral Square. It continued to meet there until a new Barony Kirk was built on the opposite side of Castle Street in 1890.
Today, what was Barony parish has long been eaten up by the city of Glasgow. In the past it represented lands which were to the north of the city and which were, in those days, more rural - they included Maryhill, Lambhill, Bishopriggs, Kelvinside, Possil, Balornock, Springburn, Provanmill, Millerston, Dennistoun, Garthamlock, Carntyne, Parkhead, Calton, Barlanark, Shettleston, Tollcross and Barrachnie.
The former Barony Church is now Strathclyde University's Barony Hall and is their main hall for Graduation ceremonies. It is also available for hire for public and private functions.