Monday 15 March 2010

LEICESTER COLLEGE DIVERSITY FAIR: DAY 1


At Leicester College, Freemen's Park Campus, for its Diversity Fair, which takes place in the college's annual Respect Week. Leicester College has three campuses dotted around the city centre. We'll be doing something similar tomorrow at Abbey Park Campus.

Right up until first thing this morning, I don't actually know if the Council of Faiths is taking part, if we were just to provide an exhibition or to present a workshop. Vinod Chudasama (Inclusion Cordinator, Student Services) is always the organising force behind events such as this, but he's been uncharacteristically quiet this past couple of weeks. I call his mobile bang on nine this morning, but it goes straight to voicemail. I leave a message saying that I'm coming anyway and that I'm sure space can be found to display one of our banners and a small tabletop display of some leaflets, boomarks, stickers and my laptop (running a slideshow).

When I arrive at Freemen's Park campus, I'm shocked to hear that Vinod has been unwell for several weeks and is currently in hospital. I, his friends at Leicester Council of Faiths and everyone who appreciates his work in championing equality and diversity at the college wish him well and hope for his speedy recovery.

Our banner looks good (I think it always does, no matter the setting or company it's in) but the tabletop looks a wee bit bare for my liking.

The first person who approaches me to talk is a member of the college staff who tells me that she's a descendant of John Bunyan, author of "Pilgrim's Progress". She tells me that she's not read it - yet. I have, as part of my degree with the Open University and it made a strong impression on me, which still lingers, some twenty years later.

Other participants in the Diversity Fair today include:

  • Amida Trustwhich is both a dedicated Pureland Buddhist Sangha and also a wide and creative network of spiritually inclined ordinary people from many orientations
  • Catch 22: a national charity that works with young people who find themselves in difficult situations
  • Diversity Hubtrainers in diversity, equalities, leadership, conflict resolution, team building and anti-bullying work with young people and adults
  • Jasmine Housewhich provides free confidential support and information for women and girls who have experienced any form of sexual violence at any time in their lives
  • Leicester College Student Union
  • Leicestershire and Leicester City Multi Agency Travellers Unitsoon to be involved in the launch of "GATE": Gypsy and Traveller Equality
  • Refugee Actionwhich provides a range of services for asylum seekers, refugees and other agencies working with asylum seekers in the Leicester area
  • St Philip's Centre for Study and Engagement in a Multi-Faith Societyspecifically promoting their Interfaith Youth Hub
  • Vistaan independent charity that provides services for blind and partially sighted people of Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland of whom there are nearly 6,000 recipients

I have interesting conversations with students and staff, who take some of our materials. Similarly, pleasant conversation with some of the other folk who have come to promote their services today. Oh and I can't close this entry without commending the Freemen's Park catering services on their blackcurrant crumble and custard, which topped off a very nice lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment