Friday 28 October 2011

AND I WISH THAT I COULD BE A BANNER MAN

When I get back to Phoenix Square around 1600, after my meeting at the Towers, the Council of Faiths banner is still up and all the literature that I'd put out for the International Day Against Hate Crime are still on display. They've neatly migrated from one side of the reception area to the other, on / beside a table with a pile of the November Phoenix Square brochure, all folded open at page 10, displaying the Faith Film Festival.

I start packing up, but ma interrupted by Andy Jones, Phoenix Square's Programme Manager, the person with whom I've been working on the programme for Inter Faith Week. Andy stops me in my tracks, asking would I mind leaving the banner up there, to promote the Faiths Film Festival. Would I mind? Would I mind?!?

I'm almost embarrassed at being offered this opportunity. I feel the need to explain to other staff at the Box Office why I'm leaving the banner. All they want to know is if it's okay for them to move it every once in a while, if it should be getting in the way. Of course. I'm chuffed but flustered.

I come back to Phoenix Square later in the evening to see The Troll Hunter. By then the banner has moved closer to the Box Office and is now sidling up to another, bigger banner promoting the new Leicester Mercury Weekend magazine. It looks like the bigger banner's wee brother.

And the title of this post? It's from the song, Banner Man by Blue Mink which got to number 3 in the charts, summer of 1971. The work I put into this blog ... *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment