Friday 2 July 2010

chance encounter

Walking down Market Street at lunchtime, I see Allan Hayes and Eleanor Davison at a table outside Mirch Masala. Given the pleasant afternoon weather, the time of day and our common areas of interest, I take the opportunity to sit a spell. I've known Allen virtually since I took up my post three years ago, having met him and spoken with him at many events, meetings and occasions - both in formal terms and at occasions such as the monthly "Philosophy in the Pub" sessions at the Swan and Rushes. Although I've also seen Eleanor many times and am well aware of her splendid reputation, we've somehow never had the chance to introduce ourselves to each other. Eleanor is serving as Lady Mayoress this year; Allen is Chaplain to the Lord Mayor. Their roles - and the prominence given to the Lord Mayor's own beliefs - have been the topic of much debate in the local media and among the great and the good of the city. I am glad I have the chance today to reassure them both that the Council of Faiths is taking a balanced position in this discussion - that we are not an enemy to freedom of thought and expression.

For several years Eleanor has been an accredited Humanist Celebrant, who conducts non-religious weddings and funerals. Our conversation ends with Eleanor asking if Clare and I are going to have a Humanist wedding ceremony in the autumn. You know, faithful reader, for some reason or other, I'd never thought of this.
 
Read an interesting interview with Eleanor about her role as a Humanist Chaplain in Leicester hospitals:
http://www.humanism.org.uk/_uploads/documents/chaplaincy-for-web.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment